Friday, August 11, 2006

Saints Preserve Us

Well, she did it. I came out of the kitchen and there she was: STANDING, on her own, next to Dan's recliner, looking pleased as punch. (Albeit a little shaky on those legs--she doesn't get yet that a wider stance gives her more stability, and she tends to put her feet right next to each other.) The rest of the morning she insisted on being up and hanging on to something. I recorded this milestone in her baby book in the last remaining moments I had alone on the couch before she wrangled me into service as her spotter for the next couple hours. She started cruising a little, too, but instead of shuffling her feet along, she crosses one over the other, and most of the time the crossed-over foot gets caught when she tries to bring it around, so I did a lot of catching. She also seems to think she can let go of whatever is holding her up and lunge to grab things. I see many a face-plant in her future.

So I'm looking around the living room and realizing we're nowhere near having this place baby-proofed. Other than the edge of the hearth, which we put bumpers on when she started rolling, nothing is ready. Even though she's been able to move by rolling around, she hasn't expressed that much interest non-baby things--plus she moved slowly enough that we could get to her before she got into trouble. But lately, cords are catching her eye, and remotes, and paper (the smaller the scrap, the better)...I'm sure electrical outlets and whatever she can reach on tabletops are right around the corner. And now, with this whole walking thing on the horizon...yikes.

1 comment:

Betsy St. Amant said...

Alison,

Thaks for the comment on my blog. I appreciate the understanding and support! =)

Cute blog by the way!!!