Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mother's Day...

Well, today seemed to be the fitting time to make a big announcement. All the things worth blogging about lately have revolved around a secret I've been keeping, but I haven't written them because I wanted to make sure things were on the right track before I did. And it looks like they are. May this post not jinx it. Not that I believe in jinxing. And yet I feel the need to write that. Hm.

So anyway, the secret is that I am pregnant again. Talk about a shocker. The doctor said not to try, so we weren't, and yet, God had other plans than us waiting until June like we'd planned. I found out the 27th and called my doctor immediately to get in for a blood test; I wasn't going to let myself get excited until I'd seen where things were chemically. My dear doctor rushed my labs so I wouldn't have to wait till Thursday afternoon for the results, and everything came back perfect. My betas were so high (21,725 or something--I only got as high as 131 last time) that they said I wouldn't even need to come back Friday for a comparison test to make sure they were doubling--they had to be if they were that high. In the words of the nurse, "Honey, you're very pregnant." Hallelujah!

Of course, given my history, they wanted to get a visual of everything, too, to make sure things looked right. So Friday we got our first picture of the baby. Not a whole lot to see--the baby is about the size of a raspberry at the moment--but apparently it looked the way it should because the ultrasound tech seemed pleased with the results.

As of this posting I am 7 weeks and 1 day, and my due date is Christmas Eve. I have symptoms this time, which is what prompted me to take the home pregnancy test in the first place. I've also already gained 7 pounds. That part is not so good. But that's what I get for sitting around and not exercising while I eat twice as much as I normally do. I know I'm not "eating for two" as they say, but I've been so freaking hungry that I can't even sleep through the night without getting a sizeable snack. I suppose that's better than nausea, although I'm now to the point where I'm hungry but the thought of actually eating anything makes me woozy. A lousy combination of sensations.

So, for those of you out there who are praying types, please pray that this pregnancy sticks and turns out the way pregnancies should: with a healthy happy baby at the end of the road.

No comments: