Monday, July 18, 2005

One six oh

Three little numbers, so many possibilities. The number of dollars I could save with Geico. The number of books on my reading list. The number of days until the baby is born. (Well, that would be 157, actually.) But no, it's none of those.

It's the number of pounds I now weight.

I could hardly believe it when I stepped on the scale. Only 17 weeks and I've already gained all the weight you're supposed to gain in an entire pregnancy. I go to the doctor again next Tuesday; I can't imagine the browbeating my OB is going to give me!

So today I turned over a new leaf. I got up at 6:30 this morning and had a protein-heavy breakfast as my first step to cutting down on the carbs I've been snarfing. Then I went to the lake for a 45 minute walk. Man, did that feel good! ('Course, I think I may have pulled a muscle. Figures.) I simply can't believe I'm going to be gaining weight for another 6 months when I'm already this big. Something must be done!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy buckets... it's hard to know how to comment on someone's weight!! :) Hmmm, this is tricky. :)
Well, I'm just going to repeat what I keep hearing: I am continuously amazed by how, for example, seven women can go through exactly the same thing and come out with such completely and totally different experiences. Here, I'll copy in what my sister Jean (who's a nurse) wrote in my blog:
"If there's one thing I learned from being a nurse, it's that people are SO different. I could have 2 patients: same age, gender, height, weight, diagnoses, and even the same health history, and they would react completely different to, say, a course of antibiotics. Or to my sense of humor."
Anyway, my point is, you'll be fine. But you knew that! My friend Carol lost SO much weight in the beginning of her pregnancy, that by the end of 36 weeks (when she delivered) she was just barely up to her pre-preg weight! Go figure.

Bigger than Me said...

Allison, I will tell you what I tell every freaked out patient I see...weight, schmeight! One doc I work with tells women to throw out thier scale, he promises to tell them if something needs to change! The important part is that you eat as healthily as possible (this coming from a woman who ate oreos dipped in bbq sauce throughout an entire pregnancy!) And even with that, DO NOT make yourself nuts! Even more important that that advice, the one HUGE thing I need to tell you is under no circumstances should you even imagine yourself dieting right now! Don't freak out over carbs, or protein, etc too much, just try to get as balanced as you can. You'll have all the time in the world to worry about it later, but now is not the time! Enjoy every pound of this pregnancy, I promise, you'll be fine! Love you oodles!!!