Saturday, February 25, 2006

Eight hours!

She did it! Abby slept for eight straight hours yesterday. I even tried to wake her up after about 5 hours to get her to eat, and she sucked for about 45 seconds before falling so deep asleep I couldn't rouse her again. 'Course, the only thing that sucks about it is that she fell asleep at 5:15 in the evening and thus woke up at 1:15. But hey, it's a big accomplishment--we can work on the timing later. :)

This morning she woke up at 6:45 to eat, and while she was able to fall back asleep in my arms, I was hopelessly awake, which is a bummer since I went to bed late last night. (I wonder when 11:00 PM will stop being 'late'?) Now she's wide awake and in her bouncy seat, giving the animals that hang off the canopy an earful of baby babble, which she's getting quite proficient at. I'm starting sign language with her, not that I expect her to be able to produce it this early, but the way she stares at you when you talk at her I figure she must be taking things in pretty well, so why not start now and make it a habit for both of us? We're just working with the signs for Mommy, Daddy, Abby (which we just do by shaking the "a" sign) and I love you. I can tell she's watching my hand, so it'll be interesting to see how old she is by the time she starts actually mimicking them. When do kids get ahold of their fine motor control, anyone know?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey there! Thanks for the email with the HB advice -- I am going to TRY to make time to work on some of that. I really appreciate it. Congrats on Abby's 8 hours of sleep! That is so wonderful. And I love the photos. She really is lovely. :) Oh, way to be the early-bird on the sign language, too, I am impressed. Do let me know how it goes -- I know it would have helped a LOT with Lucy. :)