Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Six weeks!

Well, the magical six weeks is here! 42 days ago Abby was yanked into the world, and now I finally feel safe showing her off to it. Sunday's Super Bowl party was sort of a trial run, and she did quite well. I think we'll head back to church and small group this week.

Yesterday I bought a blank journal at Borders, because I want to start writing little letters to her about...well, that's the thing, I'm not entirely sure what I want to write, I just know that I want to keep some kind of record of something for her to read when she's older. Just observations on her development, parenthood, my hopes for her--that sort of thing, I guess. Anyway, the journal kicks butt--it's got a wooden cover! Beautiful and polished, a deep mahogany color, with gilt-edged pages and some leather on the binder. Very classy. And if the wood gets all scratched it'll look all worn and weathered. And since today marks such a monumental occasion (okay, I know I'm really hyping this six weeks thing a little more than necessary), I'm going to start writing in it today. It always takes a little time for me to put pen to blank journal paper--all that empty space makes me a little nervous about messing it up, and with that fancy wooden cover and all--whoa! Gotta be extra careful not to ruin the whole thing with the first entry. Ahh, see, this is the kind of ridiculous behavior I'm hoping NOT to pass on to my daughter. Maybe that'll be my first entry: Personality Idiosyncracies And Behavioral Quirks I Pray I You Have Not Inherited From Me....

No comments: