Monday, September 12, 2005

Down she goes...

Well, I made my first really big klutsy pregnant lady move yesterday: I tripped down a stair. Thankfully it was just one, although it was concrete--the sidewalk in a friend's new condo complex goes down about 3 inches when you move towards the parking lot--so that kinda sucked. It's weird how your brain doesn't even process what's happening, because it's so fast: all of a sudden my nose is six inches from the ground and I'm on my hands and knees saying, "What was that?!" Both baby and belly were fine, never even touched the pavement, although my left knee is scraped pretty good and swollen like heck.

Because of this little incident, last's night's bizarre pregnancy dream was about how that fall triggered labor and I had my baby--a girl, for what it's worth. Of course, this being a dream, it was only minorly surprising to me that the doctor was able to stuff the baby back inside and leave me with directions to "Lie low for a while." And then I was all bummed that we knew what we were having but still had to wait to actually get her!

What's cool is that I read in my pregnancy book today that babies born this early actually have a fighting chance of survival, thanks to all the new technology and medicines available. Can you imagine, a baby at 25 weeks be able to make it?! It's just amazing. I mean, for pete's sake, the thing's barely 1.5 pounds at the moment! You can buy Subway Sandwiches that are longer than the baby is right now! Incredible.

In other news, five of my friends have had their babies in the last month or so. One last Friday, two the Friday before, one about two weeks ago (I can't remember what day), and one the second weekend in August. Four boys and a girl; two of them to first-time moms and three of them to seasoned professionals. Congratulations to Tracy, Bradleigh, Sarah, Colin, and Rebecca!

No comments: