Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Homebirth Reflections

Abby is zoned in front of an episode of Max and Ruby and Penny-J is asleep on my chest, so since they're both occupied I thought this might be a good time to post some of my thoughts about the homebirth.

Like every new experience, I went in with a lot of expectations. Most of them went out the window (bake a cake?! during labor?! what the heck was I thinking?!), mostly because of the speed of labor, but despite my laundry list of unfulfilled hopes and desires for the event, I can't imagine having done it any other way. A lot of people have asked if I'd do it this way again. Honestly, in the first few hours after the birth, I would have said there won't be a next time, but of course the intensity of things has faded over the last week and I think I can say I'm open to there being another time, and yes, I will most definitely doing it at home!

I was thinking about how different it would have been had we planned on a hospital birth. I would have gotten an epidural, no doubt. Even if I'd woken Dan half an hour earlier (and I can't imagine I would have done it any sooner than that), by the time we actually got to the hospital and I got checked into a room, I would have been at the point in my contractions when they got totally intense. Would I have started my hypnobabies scripts in time? Possibly, perhaps in the car on the way there, but given how strong they were I think the car ride would have been incredibly uncomfortable--I don't know if I would have kept my focus enough to stay in hypnosis when things got crazy.

And how would I have labored? I was on my hands and knees hugging the birth ball for the majority of the time--would I have done that in the hospital? Would I have felt secure enough to let myself go "primal"--moaning, rocking, swaying--when the staff would have been checking vitals and monitoring me? Would my OB have let me deliver on my hands and knees? I'd like to think she would--though if I'd ended up with the epidural I most likely would have been on my back.

I would have had to be vigilant about my birth plan, especially in regards to the treatment of the baby after birth--wanting her right away to nurse, keeping her with me to bond for at least an hour before being weighed and measured, not wanting her to have the eye stuff (can't remember what it's called) or Hep-B vax or a pacifier. Whereas all those things were sorted out at the home visit and there was no need to remind anyone because they all knew and respected our wishes.

The food was a lot better at home, too. :)

Not that the homebirth experience was all sunshine and roses. I had a rather romantic idea of what homebirth would be like, and the reality was anything but.My hallway carpet has bloodstains, and every time I see them it's a weird, uncomfortable reminder that I was naked in front of three people I didn't know all that well, and with my husband there, which is just strange. These people also saw me raving like a woman possessed, and while it's their job and they've seen it a million times, I have never been out of control that way before, and it's weird to think I have that primitive, animal side to me. And while the image of a woman on her back on a bed giving birth is very accepted in our society, the image of a woman on all fours is not, and the memory of it feels very...base. It's a bit embarrassing to think my husband saw me that way. It is not a sexy image. Nor is the image of my water breaking on his office floor (thankfully covered in chux pads). After the birth, my bed (also thankfully covered in chux pads) looked like the scene of a brutal murder. And it's not like I didn't think there'd be blood, it's just that I hadn't given a lot of thought to the fact that it would be right there and not on an easy-to-clean linoleum floor like in the hospital.

And in a funky way, it felt like less of a special event because there wasn't the big "Time to go to the hospital!" moment, or all the accompanying medical buzz and procedure that goes with a hospital birth. I had a baby, took a shower, got some stitches, and then everyone left and I was in bed holding a baby. 'Course the fact that it only took five hours contributes to that as well, especially when you're expecting at least half a day to be taken up. It was, in all honesty, a bit of a let-down. On one hand, that's the beauty of it--something totally natural was treated as such and not treated like a life-or-death medical event. But on the other hand, when society has taught you that it is a life-or-death medical event, the natural way seems kind of simple and plain--not nearly enough fanfare for the emerging of a new soul into the world. There should have been trumpets and a chorus of angels--which there may well have been in heaven, but we didn't get the benefit of it. Maybe midwives ought to offer a fanfare package--marching band and fireworks, or at least a CD of the Hallelujah Chorus or something.

Anyway...that's what's been on my mind. And like I said, regardless of what expectations were or were not met, I'll do it this way again, if there is an again. I hope this doesn't turn anyone off from homebirthing, though I guess if it does then you weren't meant to do it in the first place. It's definitely a commitment and requires taking a lot of responsibility for your own care--not that midwives don't take care of you, but there's an expectation on their part, and rightly so I believe, that you are an integral part of the success of your homebirth and thus need to be more involved in your own care beyond just taking your prenatals and showing up for your appointments. A lot of women sign over their pregnancy and birth experience to their doctor, and if that's your cup of tea then so be it, but I think that's the reason why we've seen such an awful increase in cesarean rates in this country. I think it's high time women started trusting their bodies more and listening to (or, more accurately, rediscovering) their instincts when it comes to birth. Hopefully my experience will encourage someone to take that leap.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Alison-
It's your fellow birthing on the 19th with Sheridan mom. :) I have so been relating to a lot of what you have written about birthing and newborns and all the like. Even though I had a hospital birth, I had a lot of the same feelings just by doing it naturally. You are totally inspiring me to write it down while it is fresh in my mind!
Thanks for sharing!

Enjoy Birth said...

I think this is a beautiful reminder that birth is unpredictable, but above all it is a miracle. No matter where or when, with Hallelujah Chorus playing or moms roaring their baby out.

It wasn't quite what I was expecting either. I was looking forward to the sandwhich tray your mom was going to bring. Hanging out with you and Michelle, helping you bake the cake.

It was just too fast. So you definitely should do it again and I hope you invite me to come again. :)

I must say that upon arriving home, I said to DH, "I will for sure have a home birth if we have another baby and Michelle will be my midwife!" So you didn't scare me off of homebirth!

Anonymous said...

While Ali may or may not believe it, I thought everything went wonderfully, I thought she was beautiful and sexy and perfect, and I would not have traded any of it for anything. Besides, I am surprised people are not asking me for my autograph considering all the people who now think Alison is the coolest, toughest and kick-butt'nest woman they know.

Doreen said...

That was a fun blog entry to read! Just goes to show you how powerful we really are. You know, "I am woman, hear me roar!" I find roaring quite helpful when pushing a baby out. ;o) As for the blood stains on your carpet, have you tried pouring hydrogen peroxide on it?

heather said...

Hi There,

Shauna Niequist gave me your blog address because I'm planning a homebirth (my first baby) and wanted to read your story.

I was so touched by the normalness of this experience for you. I like what you said about thinking you missed out on something - like there should have been fanfare and trumpets to celebrate this new life. Isn't that the way it often is in life, though? I am drawn to homebirth in this way. And like other pain we go through in life, we often come out on the other end feeling changed, different, more in touch with our primal self, new-lifed - and it feels like there should be fanfare. Possibly the angels rejoice. This is the ebb and flow of life, and "it is good."

Thanks for letting me take a peak at your experience. And Congratulations!

-Heather

becca said...

Gosh I don't even know where to begin...So I found your blog through Barb K, who I found through Amanda Peszat, who I think you went to church with or something? Anyhooo...get ready to be weirded out by how your blog has affected someone you don't know. :)

I started reading your blog when it was at a different site and was mostly about your pregnancy with your first daughter. You wrote a lot about hypnobirth and it was so interesting. I'd never heard of it before. I followed your blog along through her birth. I lost track of it shortly thereafter. Oh my gosh am I happy for you now with TWO kiddos! Wow!!!

So...somewhere between then and now I also got pregnant and remembered about the hypnobirth stuff you wrote about. I started doing my own exploring and ordered some CDs off of Ebay or something. I was addicted! I mean, all along I said even if they ended up being hooey during labor and delivery they were totally worth the time and money just for the relaxation I got from them through pregnancy. I had a totally complication-free, easy pregnancy. Labor and delivery were pretty easy, too...although I confess I did go for the epidural...like you after induction, pitocin, and all that. Still that hypnobirth stuff really helped me keep focused and calm. Ask my husband...I was like practically asleep the whole time, yaknow, except for the pushing part.

So thanks for that! Oh, but that's not where it ends...not at all.

Turns out despite all the standard tests, ultrasounds, and whatnot everything wasn't all honkey dorey with my baby. Far from it. Well, I won't get into it all here (if you want the whole story you can check it out at our baby blog eyeonthebaby.blogspot.com). To sum it up in one sentence - He had multiple birth defects in multiple organ systems and needed numerous surgeries during his first year of life. Yeah, so that's been stressful.

BUT (and here's the cool thing) I am very proud to say that I've gotten through this first year of mega-stress - and, for the record, diagnosed PTSD and panic attacks - without any drugs (legal or otherwise as tempting as they've all been). I again tapped back into that lovely hypnobirth resource you tipped me off on. I got several hypnosis recordings to help deal with stress and to help encourage sleep. I also found a counselor who uses hypnosis.

And I never, ever would have considered it if it weren't for your blog. :)

Weirded out? Ha ha. Anyway, I've been itching to tell you that for a while now. Well, congratulations headed to you and your lovely family.

Best wishes and many thanks,
becca