Monday, March 24, 2008

Sleep, glorious sleep...

So the first two nights Penny slept pretty well. I had high hopes. And then Saturday I was minutes away from slamming my head against the wall because she wanted to nurse nonstop--at nearly midnight I'd been in bed for over two hours and still hadn't slept. As soon as I got her back in the cosleeper and got myself settled, she'd be crying to eat again. (If she'd eat for more than ten minutes at a time, this wouldn't be such a problem.) Dan came in just before I broke into a thousand mental pieces and took her to see if being in the swing would distract her from eating--and it did! I got three hours of rest before they came back in, and life was good again. She only nursed one more time that night, and we got to sleep until quarter to eight.

Then last night she made up for it by only nursing twice and letting me sleep until 7:45, and Abby even contributed by sleeping an hour later than that! Granted, I didn't go to bed until 11 because I could tell Penny was just going to keep nursing, so I guess, now that I think about it, it wasn't much different from Saturday night, except that I didn't spent two fruitless hours trying to sleep. I really hope she picks up the nursing pace so she isn't up so late eating--these little five and ten minute mini-feeds scattered throughout the day are going to get old real quick.

Greena and Par (Dan's parents) came down Saturday to spend the day with us. More pics on the other blog--they helped Abby color eggs!--but I thought this was so cute: Abby nursing the doll they brought for her:



Nancy (a.k.a. "Greena") crocheted this blanket for PJ before she was born--she was pretty confident we were having a girl:



So Eastery! Speaking of which, hope your holiday was filled with awe for the sacrifice that was made for us, for God so loved the world...

1 comment:

Enjoy Birth said...

Love Abby nursing her baby. I have a picture of Devon nursing his GIANT piggy, that was bigger than him. :)

Anyway, yes those wonderful cluster feedings. I remember nursing Bryson from pretty much 8-11 PM, 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there. I finally gave up trying to go to bed before 11.

But the great thing was, he would then sleep for a good 4 hour stretch! Once he finally fell asleep, the problem was it is a challenge to figure when that really is and sometimes I would lose 30 min of sleep, because I thought he would still wake up to nurse again.